The runner application period has ended.
Thank you for many applications.
The Yamagata PTF will contact the nominated TBs from the beginning of December,2019. Subsequently, the Tokyo 2020 Organising Committee will send an official nomination notification to them, which notification shall serve as an announcement of their nominations.
- Note that the Tokyo 2020 Organising Committee will contact those selected with details of their individual paths sometime after mid-February, 2020.
- Note that those applicants not nominated will not be notified. However, in the event of an opening for a TB within two weeks prior to the TB’s scheduled run, previous applicants may be selected to move into that slot. In that event, the Tokyo 2020 Organising Committee will notify the individual of their nomination.
- Reasons for nominating or not nominating an applicant will not be disclosed. Please note that inquiries regarding those reasons cannot be answered.
After the TB Nomination Process
- The nominated TBs will be contacted in order by the Yamagata PTF after December 2019 (tentative). This will be followed by an official nomination notification from the Tokyo 2020 Organising Committee. Any subsequent contact will come from the Tokyo 2020 Organising Committee.
- Those under 18 years of age as of March 1, 2020, will be asked to submit a consent form from a parent or guardian.
- TBs will be able to purchase the Olympic torch carried on the day of their run. Purchase price and other information about purchasing it will be provided following the nomination process.
- Any materials to be sent out in advance will be e-mailed or mailed to the address provided on the application form.
- Any communication prior to or on the day of the run will be in Japanese or English only.
- While there is no charge to participate, the cost of round trip transportation to and from the designated meeting place (including, when necessary, accommodations) on the day of the relay shall be the responsibility of the individual participant. No refunds or other compensation shall be provided in the event that day’s relay is cancelled for unavoidable reasons.
- Personal identification will be checked at the designated meeting place on the day of the relay; please bring and be prepared to present some form of picture ID (driver’s license, passport, residence card, etc.).
- TBs will be asked to sign a runner consent form at the designated meeting place on the day of the relay, verifying consent to important precautions while running and other items of consent, and providing final confirmation of the individual’s desire to run.
- Application forms found to contain false or dishonest statements will result in cancellation of the individual’s nomination.
- The individual’s nomination may be cancelled in the following cases; (i) It is revealed that the candidate does not meet the application requirements as a Torchbearer, (ii) He/she performs an act which spoils the image of the Tokyo 2020, (iii) Any other case that the Tokyo 2020 Organising Committee deems that the candidate is inappropriate as a Torchbearer.